Kings Dominion is a theme park filled with thrill rides and family fun, tucked away in the lush landscape of upper Virginia. Just an hour north of Williamsburg, Kings Dominion has a collection of world class roller coasters. All of the rides vary in speed, size and theme but all promise to deliver an adrenaline-inducing rush. Even better, you can experience all of the thrill rides at the park for one low price with discount Kings Dominion tickets featuring a savings of $23!
Let’s take a quick look at the top five coasters found at King’s Dominion.
Top 5 Roller Coasters at Kings Dominion:
1) Intimidator 305: When this coaster debuted it was named “Best New Roller Coaster of 2010” by Amusement Today – and for good reason! Not only is it the tallest, fastest and most thrilling roller coaster on the East Coast, but it reaches top speeds of 90mph! On top of that, the ride stands 305 feet at its highest point with a first drop of 300 feet at an 85-degree angle. Lasting 3 minutes, which is a long time in coaster world, visitors rave about the high speed twists and turns of Intimidator. If you’re look for the most thrilling ride at Kings Dominion VA, this is it!
2) Anaconda: This longtime favorite of park goers and coaster enthusiasts packs a punch (and a surprise)! The steep looping coaster is erected over a beautiful lake, and at its first drop of 143 feet, it twists down and plunges straight towards an underwater tunnel. Think that sounds like a rush? Just wait. You then go straight up into a 360 degree loop. The top speed of Anaconda is 50mph, but the loops and unexpected twists make it feel like you’re going much faster. The ride lasts approximately two minutes.
3) Dominator: Over 4,200 feet of track, records for longest floorless roller coasters and largest loop, five inversions and speeds of almost 70mph. Sound like enough to rank as one of the best? You bet! Visitors love this coaster for its non-stop action. Plus, the ride is great whether you sit in the front, middle or back of the train.
4) Volcano Blaster: This quick thrill is considered one of the premier coasters for roller enthusiasts. With so many twists, turns, and plummets, the 75mph Volcano Blaster continues to be one of the most popular rides at Kings Dominion. Some of the most exhilarating moments include floating over a pool of water, then erupting into the heart of dark, smoke-spewing volcano. Blast back into daylight before rocketing 155 feet straight up, experience another barrel roll and a finale of an 80 foot plummet back to the base of the volcano.
5) Shockwave: One of the only stand-up coasters in the world, Shockwave gives guests a unique thrill. As you stand, and straddle your seat with feet on the floor, securely strapped in of course, your vantage point is much different from typical coasters. The two minute long ride reaches speeds of up to 50mph, has an 84 foot drop and 360 degree horizontal loop bringing you parallel to the ground. Shockwave is one of the only standup roller coasters left in the world, making it even more of an amazing attraction.
|Learn about Kings Dominion’s 40th anniversary celebration – happening now!
|Read More »
|Ashley is Reserve Direct’s travel expert, visiting Williamsburg to find the best travel tips, money-saving deals and insider information. With over 10 years of experience in first-hand travel adventures, she shares her stories, advice, and current events to help you stay in the know. Before you pack your bags, get the latest scoop on Williamsburg vacations from Ashley.